Saturday, June 27, 2009

Slow Internet Mumbo-Jumbo


As I had previously posted, I have to thank both Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett (may God bless their souls) for opening my eyes once again about Internet topography, backbones et.al. In the last 24 hours global networks have experienced severe bottlenecks, overflows, latency and saturation in levels that I have not seen in a long time. Breaking News=Slow Connectivity. Yeah right. Basic questions come to mind, such as…is it the architecture itself?...or the people managing it on a day-to-day basis?...I’m frustrated by the amount of resources (and the $$$ associated with it) that ISP’s and similar spend every day on this issue(s). We are getting too used to terminology such as “Black Holes” (go Hubble!), “DNS war”, “Cyber-bullying” or “Maxed-out bandwidth” (I heard that one today like 100+ times)…so…what is the solution?...no, please don’t tell me again “let’s add more routers”…and do not pitch me the “one-hop source” design. We have to look at all 7 layers and promote a factual Internet Governance approach. One with real engineering minds, no politicians allowed. And please let’s do it before the daisy-chain-effect brings us to a place where we need to start all over again (if we travel back in time, I reserve the right not to use the name ARPANET). That, or let’s finally outlaw breaking-news casts…

Internet traffic report


Real-time web monitor

No comments:

Post a Comment